Yes, that’s right. One of the most famous and instantly recognisable hotel reward programmes that boasts some 30 million members is 25 years old today. To celebrate, Hilton HHonors will be rewarding members throughout the next two months with a 25 million point giveaway and a sweepstake “25 days of Winning”.
Started in 1987, this has to be one of the oldest and longest running programmes of its kind. I have a slight qualm with a lot of these reward schemes where rewards are hard to amass, however HHonors has always had a very fair reputation, so it’s fitting that Hilton are celebrating this milestone.
Through to 18th September, the 25 Million Point Giveaway will award one member each day with 1 million HHonors points, along with runner-up, instant-win prizes including HHonors points, gift cards and prize packages from Hilton Worldwide’s 10 hotel brands. Hilton are taking the promotion onto their social channels too allowing members to enter daily prizes on the Hilton HHonors Facebook page.
The celebration continues with the 25 Days of Winning sweepstakes from October 1 to 25, 2012. Every day for 25 days, HHonors members will be encouraged to visit http://www.HHonors.com/25days for a chance to win exceptional prizes, from a New Year’s Eve getaway to Times Square, New York to HHonors Diamond status for a year.
Jeff Diskin, Senior Vice President, Global Customer Marketing, Hilton Worldwide commented “As a company, it was always our goal to build an industry-leading loyalty program, but it’s because of our loyal members that Hilton HHonors has grown into the awarding-winning program it is today. I am proud of the milestones we have surpassed over these 25 years and we look forward to continuing to earn the loyalty of frequent travelers.”
Here’s a plotted history of the long standard reward programme:
- 1987: Program began as an “Instant Win” scratch-off promotion tied to U.S. Olympic Team sponsorship honoring Olympians past and present.
- 1996: The word about Hilton HHonors spreads. The program reached its first million members.
- 1997: Expanded to hotels within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio outside of the U.S.
- 2001: Dedicated Diamond VIP Desk opened for HHonors Diamond members.
- 2002: Hilton HHonors grew to 10 million members.
- 2004: First Hilton HHonors online reward reservation took place.
- 2006: Introduced Hilton HHonors Giving Back program, allowing members to donate their Hilton HHonors points to charitable organizations.
- 2007: Announced Experience Rewards, allowing members to redeem points for a diverse range of lifestyle activities.
- 2008: Became the only hotel guest loyalty program to offer members both Points & Miles® and No Blackout Dates. 20 million travelers enrolled in the program and learned about the ways to earn and redeem points through Hilton HHonors.
- 2011: Launched a global rebranding initiative built on the platform “Hilton HHonors, A World of Experiences Worth Sharing” and introduced three new reward options for members, including Points and Money, Premium Room Rewards and Room Upgrade Rewards. Hilton HHonors celebrated 30 million HHonors members, surpassing previous membership records.
If you are a HHonors member, you can participate in the anniversary celebrations, by visiting www.Facebook.com/HiltonHHonors for the 25 Million Point Giveaway and www.HHonors.com/25Days for the 25 Days of Winning sweepstakes.
What’s your favourite hotel loyalty programme and why? Do you seem to collect card after card with no reward? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic and any great examples you’ve seen of loyalty programmes and best practices that could be shared.